Wednesday, November 1, 2006

11.1.06 - How my vote almost didn't count (a.k.a. How I Forgot How to Sign My Name)

Oregon's vote by mail system apparently has a built in literacy test to go along with the poll tax (post office stamp): You have to be able to follow simple directions.

In order for your vote to count, the signature on the secracy envelope must match your voter registration signature. I sign my signature the same way dozens of times each day. However, this election, for some reason, I felt compelled to sign my ballot with my full name. I think I had some sort of flashback to when we bought the farm (literally - we didn't die) a couple years ago. I had to sign dozens of documents, all of which required me to sign my first, middle, and last names (instead of my first initial, middle and last like I usually do). Back then I tried to explain that they were having me write my name, not sign my name. They just blamed home office or something. Anyway, this election I failed the poll test by signing my first/last/middle and was almost derelict in one of the few responsibilities of a republican (little "r") citizen.

Additionally, I almost failed part 2 of the test, which is the "Be Able to Recognize an Envelope from the County as an Attempt to Warn You of Your Inability to Follow Directions" test. Luckily it didn't get thrown into the junk mail file until after the election.

Wednesday I did manage to find my way to the elections office and sign a new signature card which matched my own signature. Now my vote counts and I am a true republican (little "R")! If I were only a Republican (big "R") in a state with computerized ballot boxes.....then my vote would count twice.