Saturday, March 10, 2007

3.10.07 - Grain Bandits

I screwed up last night by forgetting to lock the gate to the hay loft in the barn. In the past the gate would stay shut by virtue of the sag in the gate. However, the other night we fixed it allowing it to swing freely.

This morning we woke up to see the goats munching on the alfalfa while Sweet Pea had a crate of 50 lbs of rolled corn dragged out into the barn. I sprinted out there to find all the grain gone. This is a potentially deadly situation because of the risk of foamy bloat, overeating disease and acidocis.

After getting some advice from the vet and the neighbors, I ran to town to by some Pepto Bismal. Its antacid can prevent the harmful acid that leads to acidosis. While in line with 6 bottles of extra-strength, the clerk smartly remarked, "You must have some stomach ache!"

I got home and put the new squeeze chute to work. I tied the cow to the post and squeezed her between two gates. I then used an old ratted lead rope to tie the open goat to the locked gate. I finshed the squeeze chute by lodging an old pick axe through the gates behind her shank.

About then David and Faith arrived to help get two quarts of the pink stuff into Sweet Pea. I received a tip earlier about using a long-neck wine bottle to deliver the antacid so I had an empty bottle of Life Force Mead in hand. I forced the bottle into her mouth while Faith rubbed her throat to encourage her to swallow. Two doses of that later, and I released one frustrated cow.

Following that, Faith and I wrestled six goats to give them 60 ML a piece of the pink stuff.

Six hours later everyone is still alive, although tomorrow I shall put on a lock that latches automatically and a spring that closes it.