Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Hog hnging weights are in!

Hog #1: Hanging Weight 154 lbs. (/.74) = 208 lbs. live weight (One half of this one went to Tina the other half to Val)

Hog #2: Hanging Weight 144 lbs. = 195 lbs. live weight (1/2 to Darla; half for us)

Hog #3: Hanging Weight 138 lbs.= 186 live weight (whole to Cathy)


Here’s what I ordered for our half:

From the Loin:
- pork chops (no pork loin) ¾ inch (for easier grilling) (I paid $.45/lb to have 2 to a package – this will force me to eat small portions)

From the Shoulder:
- 2 little picnic roasts (to make pulled pork – they’ve already been skinned so no crackling will be available)
- the rest in shoulder steaks

Leg: normally I would do cured ham. However, I’ve never had ham from Mohawk before so I don’t know if I’d like the flavor.
- pork cube steaks (pork cutlet): I’ve never ordered this before but I wanted something different than the typical ham steaks or cured ham that I usually buy. I envision breading them and frying them for sandwiches.
- Hocks: normally I would have these ground for the sausage but I read that they are a good veal substitute. Since veal is my favorite food that I cannot eat, I’m going to try the hocks in osso buco.

Belly: normally I would do cured bacon but I ordered it all sliced fresh (basically fresh pork belly). I may be getting a smoker and try to smoke some bacon myself as a little experiment. Otherwise, I’ll fry it like bacon and see what I think.